Build a 5-Star Personality Brand
by Tracy Johnson
Personalities are known by a few signature elements. Most of the time, they are in the form of features. The right personalities could build their entire show on this list.
All features should be considered carefully to insure they fit your personality. But you’re probably wondering which features tend to work best for most shows? Here are 10 of the most popular, best testing and most effective features:
1. Second Date Update: Connect couples on the phone who have gone out once, but they haven’t been able to arrange a second date. Get Details
2 Tough Love, Starring Siri: Siri takes on any question you (or listeners) submit. Get Details
3. Thousand Dollar Minute: A daily, play-along game with listeners that keeps the show top of mind and relevant. Get Details
4. Missed Connections. Easy to find content turns into some really funny moments by reading personal ads on Craig’s List, etc. Get Details
5. What Are you Doing At The Courthouse? A simple man-on-the-street interview asking people why they’re at the courthouse. Get Details
6. War of the Roses: A classic that really never gets old because it’s all about relationships and eavesdropping on stories. Get Details
7. Heads Up: This is basically playing the board game Taboo on the air. It comes alive when the personalities are engaged. Get Details
8. Book of Records/Hall of Fame: These are similar but serve different purposes. It can be a show defining benchmark and Hall of Fame as more of a feature. Get Details
9. Celebrity Gossip: You probably already do this, but are you doing it well? Get Details
10. Prank Calls/Phone Taps: There’s an art to doing these well. Listeners pranking listeners is powerful Get Details
Of course, your results depend almost entirely on execution, and approaching features as a content container. In other words, it’s there to hold your personality and establish character. And, you’ll get much more mileage if you treat each segment as it’s own mini-brand, curating and promoting it as a separate entity.
Finally, don’t rush out and add all of these features to your show at once. You don’t have the capacity to do them all well, and listeners won’t be able to keep up with you! It’ll be chaos. Instead, identify your weakest current element and replace it with something stronger.
On this site, you’ll find hundreds of feature ideas as part of the Insiders Radio Network. They’re organized into categories for daily, weekly or once-in-awhile use.
(Note: You can get a free 10 day trial for Insiders and check out all of the details on these and thousands of other ideas). Click here to start a free trial.
Tracy Johnson specializes in radio talent coaching, radio consulting for programming and promotions and developing digital strategies for brands.
7 Deadly Sins of Radio Personalities
Game-changing guidance to transform your show, station & career.