When Z90/San Diego’s Rick Morton told me he wanted to name his new prank call feature The Phone Jibba, I thought he was nuts and tried to talk him out of it. But he was right. Listeners caught on in just a couple of weeks and the Jibba was on the way to being the centerpiece of the station’s highly popular Morton In The Morning show.
Jibba is a meaningless, made-up word. And it fits the hilarious feature that airs once per hour on the show. Morton’s calls are hilarious and follow a strict structure:
- Set Up The Premise so the audience knows what to expect.
- Establish a rapport with the “victim”.
- Surprise them with a twist they weren’t expecting.
- Exaggerate the conversation to the absurd.
- Provide relief and get them to laugh along with you.
For a detailed guide to creating prank calls, click here.
Listen to these examples and hear how Morton executes the structure in each: